How Social Media Can Affect Lives – The Power of Social Networking
Philippines – I saw this report from GMA news where they featured how social media can affect the lives of Pinoys or Filipino netizens and indeed I agree with almost all of the points taken and I experienced them as well. If I compare my life now with Internet from how I live 10 years ago, I can definitely say that it’s quite too difficult to live now without social media such as Facebook and Twitter. These social media are one of my effective tools for blogging and/or creating articles that I post on my websites. Also, I can get more information from it than waiting for the day’s news to flash on my television. Needless to say, social media is indeed the most powerful tool today and I know most Pinoy netizens would agree with that.
Social Media is the term now used for online social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and many more. Philippines is not far behind for being so addictive with this online medium to share their thoughts, products, reviews, information and almost everything there is in the Internet. Amazingly speaking, Internet has grown more and fast as compared some couple of years ago. And truthfully speaking, I can even see government agencies use this social networking medium to update their constituents or the people with what’s new from them. One good example is the twitter account of MMDA who keeps on tweeting the latest traffic update to aid the people where is the best route to go and avoid traffic jams or accidents.
According to the latest statistics for Social Media, Philippines is placed 6th as the most addictive with Social networking websites and currently on the 8th position with Facebook’s largest users or with registered accounts. That is why, if you have something interesting to share and wants it to become a Internet viral thing then all you have to do is share it and let it reach the others – soon you’ll be amazed that it’s already a “viral thing” in the Internet.
The Positive Effect Of Social Media
Let us take Facebook as an example here. There are so many benefits that I can think of if I use Facebook and out of them I will only the top 3 which for me are the best among them.
- Internet Marketing Strategies – Whether if you are a blogger or an entrepreneur with a certain website niche whom uses Internet as your medium then definitely you can use Facebook as your immediate and fastest medium to share it. I’ve seen this in action many times especially if your website is still young. All you have to do is prepare your niche and then share by posting it on your status or on your friends’ Facebook wall. Then in turn if your friends can share it as well – viola! You now have an instant traffic. And soon, if it became viral or trending then people will keep on coming back into your website;
- Community Services – It is also effective for government agencies if they want something for other people to know such as updates and news from their firm. I already mentioned MMDA above from where they just kept on tweeting the latest traffic update helping people to find the easiest and fastest route on the road. Another is news updates from different TV news stations providing us the latest update of what’s happening around us. And the most important of all is if you want to help someone in helping you to find a place or people then you can definitely use Facebook by asking your online friends for this information;
- News Around The World – Internet is not limited into one’s country or region so you can easily access and get the information from your friends from the other side of the globe. You can easily chat with them and exchange ideas or even be updated on what’s happening on their community there.
The Negative Effect Of Social Media
Of course, Social Media can also be quite destructive if we are not responsible enough. Some other users with bad or negative motives used Facebook to exploit other users. Like the advantages use of social media, here are some of the disadvantages or bad effect of this medium into our lives.
- Virus and Malwares – This is the most common among them all and if you’re not careful you might compromise not only your computer’s system but as well as all the information about you such as your accounts, passwords, bank credentials, etc. Hackers are using Facebook nowadays by creating small applications or exploits and putting it within Facebook system and if you’re not careful then you might become one of their victims. Sometimes they will show you interesting information that might catch your attention with a link embedded into it. Once you click it, BAM! you’re now caught into their trap without you knowing it.
- Scandals and Pornography – There are so many lives went miserable because of this when irresponsible users uploads sex scandals and posts it on Facebook. They use this in many ways and some of the common reasons are to blackmail someone or for some they use this to expose one’s life. Unfortunately, before you can even ask Facebook to block this I am pretty sure there are million of users already seen it. It’s quite sad but true. So be responsible. In accordance with this, your kids, as young as they are might also accidentally see this explicit videos over the Internet and we all know that this is not good for them on their early age.
- Deception and Scams – This is nothing new also but there are still reports that many of the social media networking users are still victimized by these scamming and deceptive information over the Internet. Someone can post that someone (could be an icon or a known personality) has died and within minutes this news will go viral only to find out in the end that this is just a nonsense news. This can be used to bad mouth a product or services so if you’re not keen and you don’t know much then you might end up deceived as well.
At the end of the day, before you log off from your social networking account it’s actually up to you on how you’re going to treat each things you see or share on social networking. But my only advice to you is for you to become – RESPONSIBLE. :) Below is the segment report from GMA News.